My son, who has been coming to wargaming conventions and helping me run games for three years, wants to learn how to play 40K. We decide that he should paint his own army and, because I'm just learning how to play, learn to play Space Marines.
I tell him to look through Codex Chapters and pick something he thinks is cool but thinks he can paint on his own. He selects the Doom Legion.(Likes the skull - only one with a jawbone (I don't know either))
I want to make it as simple for him as possible but still have an army he can be proud of. This is what I came up with:
1) Black Reach marines from ebay.
2) Prime figures with Army Painter Platemail Metal.(I primed them)
3) Fill in shoulder pads and gun with Black
4) Snot Green on the trim of shoulder pad, chest eagle, and vents on backpack. Plus any other raised eagle or skull.
5) Blood red and bleached bone on purity seal.
6) Wash entire figure with Badab Black. The wash fills in all the crevices on the metal and the green.
7) Red in Eyes.
This is the pretty sweet result:
The keys to the entire process are the Army Painter primer and the Badab Black wash.
The Stout Smurf